Sunday, June 2, 2013

Made in Japan


Spent a few hours sketching and painting as today is pretty rainy and cold for June 2 (52 F). It's only going to get in the low 60's if that today. Crazy weather all around the world. Can we say Global Warming?

This little figure belonged to my grandmother. It was sent to her by my father when he was stationed in Japan (1946) just after WWII. You may be familiar with the term Made in Occupied Japan (1945-1952) It was a marking put on 50% of the pieces exported from Japan. This piece doesn't have the term 'Occupied Japan' on it, but I have other pieces that he sent that have (Made in OJ). It is hideously painted but I have always loved it for whatever reason. It's been lost and found many, many times. He reminds me of some of the Beatrix Potter's characters and I named him Winston.


No comments:

Post a Comment